Taken from Military Working Dogs Facebook page.
In memory of MWD Puck: The day I have dreaded for so long has finally arrived. My best friend of 9.5 years has crossed rainbow bridge. There are so many memories that we have shared. I’ll never forget meeting him for the first time in February 2005. I was a green handler and he was a green dog; we were both straight from the school house. He taught me a lot as a K9 Handler, but most importantly, he taught me how to trust.
In 2006, on our deployment to Iraq, he was my rock, my companion, and my crazy comedian. The longest we were apart for those six months was four hours. When we returned to the states, he stayed in his kennel while I took a couple days off. I’ll never forget the excitement in his bark/whine when he saw me again for the first time. He refused to walk on all four paws, he wanted to walk next to me, like a person. Soon after that, while patrol training, he developed a compressed spinal cord from hitting too hard. The Vets worked day in and day out trying to fix him. He was later transferred to Lackland AFB (main Military Working Dog hub). My heart sank as I dropped him off and said “goodbye” for (what I thought at the time) the last time.
Nearly two weeks after that (and being a pain in the rear to the Vets down there), I received the phone call I had been waiting for “MWD Puck is an adoptable candidate and he will no longer be able to be utilized as an MWD due to his injury”. He became clumsy after his injury, which doesn’t work out for explosive dogs.
December 22, 2007, Puck came HOME! We soon transferred to Guam and later back to VA. While doing my security clearance for my current position, the Investigator commented, “The people I have interviewed said you don’t have any kids but you have ‘Puck’ and he’s your son”.
It’s obvious everyone knew how important he was to me. August 2012, Puck was given 6-12 months due to a tumor on his adrenal gland. We have been very grateful of this extra time with him. We have been able to feed him steak, chicken, and as many treats as he can handle. He even learned how to train people to get him treats. I know there are so many lives he has touched to include those he met while being a therapy dog.
Unfortunately, Puck developed a huge tumor (undetermined if it’s related to the adrenal gland tumor) that has slowly been bleeding. I know he’s in a lot less pain, and it would be selfish to keep him suffering anymore. He was a fighter until he lost all strength. He will always be in my heart and there won’t be a day that goes by I won’t think of him. The next few days will be a struggle but I will remember the great, goofy times we’ve had together.
To all of the MWD Handlers that gave Puck a final farewell, I can not thank you enough. You proved how close our community is. Thank you for showing up on such a short notice, it honestly meant a lot to me.
To my best friend, I will forever miss you and will always love you. Until we meet again…
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers
MWD (ret.) Puck (H066)
January 1, 2003-July 8, 2014
- beastmuffintron reblogged this from goddamnhandcannon
- bitcheslovedom likes this
- introverted---extrovert likes this
- alloymaiden reblogged this from sasha-heartfelt
- dogsfordefense likes this
- softball-lover18 likes this
- dreams-do-last reblogged this from knockoutvintagenerd
- code-3-cowboy likes this
- youmakemefeelinfinate likes this
- drmeowmix likes this
- officer-policeman likes this
- wallowseaofsorrow likes this
- explorer-friendly likes this
- explorer-friendly reblogged this from flhsmv
- emtcc reblogged this from stretchermonkeyphotography
- flhsmv reblogged this from basic417
- the--chairman likes this
- mccall1 reblogged this from basic417
- mccall1 likes this
- dalhart400 likes this
- basic417 reblogged this from venatrix12
- venatrix12 reblogged this from for-some-heroes
- venatrix12 likes this
- for-some-heroes reblogged this from stretchermonkeyphotography
- for-some-heroes likes this
- stretchermonkeyphotography reblogged this from uwotm8y8
- theairforcekid likes this
- ambs56150 likes this
- jjbbwlover reblogged this from pinkhoney559 and added:
- jjbbwlover likes this
- a-box-of-dicks reblogged this from tailpipe11
- a-box-of-dicks likes this
- shane-007 likes this
- film-faith-otherthoughts likes this
- af-alfi reblogged this from goddamnhandcannon
- af-alfi likes this
- lasuperelegante likes this
- sheester reblogged this from spensfinn5
- rockmynaughtysocks likes this
- kidborrego likes this
- pink-is-the-only-choice reblogged this from venitaspeaks
- lunadelarosa reblogged this from ilikemycountryrockinghowboutyou
- assyluminyourarms reblogged this from naughtilydelicious
- assyluminyourarms likes this
- knockoutvintagenerd reblogged this from law-enforcement-support
- mynaughtyself likes this
- naughtilydelicious reblogged this from fawkew
- philosophers-stoned reblogged this from powerbuns
- nikosweapon likes this
- powerbuns reblogged this from thedepthcharger